Thursday, June 6, 2013

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

So that's PST (Pre Service Training). Very interesting, still not sure exactly how I feel about it. I loved living in Chernigov and I learned an incredible amount in such a short time. I had a phenomenal host family that has taken me in and made me feel like I have a home even though I am 6,500 miles away from anything I have ever known. I will miss all the people I have grown close to and this great city. On the flip side I could not be more pumped about starting this next phase.

I had my language test on Wednesday and I performed up to my abilities. Of course I was nervous but I love pressure and I did just about as well as I could of hoped. I think my language level will be Intermediate-Mid but I may eek out the high classification, wait and see. Basically my language is at a point where I can talk about myself and introduce others. I can ask a variety of questions. I can handle simple transactions at the bank/post office/store/etc... If it is a straight forward give and take interaction I can handle it. I am still getting lost when people talk to me and string more than a few sentences together. I can usually gather a lot from context but as soon as I miss more then three words in a row my brain kind of shuts off. luckily I have two years to work on it with an entire country full of native speakers. Also, Peace Corps is kind enough to help pay for a tutor the entire time I'm in country.

Ok, So I know where I will live and work for the next two years. Drum roll please.................................
The beautiful and historic city of Zaporozhye. It is the Oblast center and 6th largest city in Ukraine. population of 750,000+. I haven't had much time to research but everyone I ask says it is a great place to spend the next two years. It is located in Southeast Ukraine on the banks of the Dnieper river. Map is provided below.

I also know a little bit about the organization I will work with. It is called Vidkrytyi Svit (Open World) Charitable Foundation. I am not exactly sure what they do but they were kind enough to give me an idea of the type of projects they would like me to work on.
  • Trainings/Seminars on various topics including (Small business entrepreneurship, business planning, strategic planning, marketing, computer skills, and leadership)
  • Assisting with organizational development (Strategic/Business planning, motivation, etc...)
  • Volunteerism promotion
  • Participation in summer camps for youth
  • Business English for staff
I am freaking bouncing off the walls. I don't want to put the wagon before the horse but this seems like a wonderful fit for me. I think PC did an excellent job matching my skills to an organization's needs, while still keeping in mind my personal aspirations. That's all I will say about the org because I really don't know much else and I don't want to make assumptions.

I will travel to Kiev on Sunday for swearing in and then on Wednesday I board a train to Zaporozhye and begin the next chapter of my life. My org has an apartment set up for me but I don't know much else about my living situation. I am going to try to continue posting once a week but I need to figure out what day fits my schedule best. Wish me luck and I will start posting once I get settled and my head stops reeling. 

It's going to be really hard to sleep for the next week

                      




The city is located right on the river bank and it looks like I could travel to the Sea of Azov whenever I feel a little froggy. Zaporozhye is an important industrial center so there is a lot of transport to and from the area. 

Eastern Ukraine gets much less snowfall than North and West so that should make winters a little more bearable.  

Job description, I pulled out the key points in the paragraph above but I figured I would include it. This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge except for a few tid bits my regional manager gave to me at Site Placement.

2 comments:

  1. Will,
    Just have read your latest posts !
    Wonderfull, Great progress !!
    Zaporizzja is a nice place with a rich history !
    I was travellening in Norway and Iceland a few weeks, - that is a different world !

    Good luck and keep posted !
    Alex D
    Усього Найкращого !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Wishes on your new assignment and city (Zaporizzja)...now we can call you "Z-man". Truly excited for you and am really really proud of all that you've accomplished in your life.
    God Bless You...."Many Years" !!! love, Dad

    ReplyDelete